Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Bandon Trails

Rankings

Golf Digest:  #70
Golfweek:  #19 Modern

My trip to Bandon was such a whirlwind, these reviews will be short.  I pulled off a late night flight from a conference in Vegas into Eugene - drove the 2.5 hours to Bandon in the pitch black - and rolled in at ~3am.  First tee time at 9am...welcome to Bandon!

Trails was the third course I played, and the most traditional.  It feels as you'd expect of a Coore/Crenshaw design.  I may have enjoyed Trails the most - it was picturesque even though it sits a bit inland.  Elevation changes and doglegs kept things interesting, and the wind was no joke - as you'd assume at Bandon.  A caddie was critical for a first timer, and from what I understand most of them are solid at the resort.  However, we had the same caddies the entire time, and they were a lot of fun.  A lot of them are great players as well.  

I spent three days at Bandon, and would have liked to have spent one more day.  But, you take the invite when it comes.  It's a special place for golfers - it's just golf, nothing else.  I love it.


No comments: