Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Erin Hills

Rankings

Golf Digest:  #42
Golfweek:  #127 Modern

Erin Hills was played after our 54 holes at Whistling Straits.  I could have been wearing clouds on my feet and they'd have been sore after that much walking.  So another 10 miles of walking was going to be great for my dogs.  And boy is Erin Hills a trek.  The caddies should've been sherpas.  

I thought Erin Hills would be my least favorite course of the golf trip, but it was actually my favorite.  The scale of it, the uniqueness of holes, the wildflowers and rolling terrain - it was a perfect setting.  It may sound nerdy, but the clouds were like a postcard and the perfect background for some good golf photos.  

The short par 3 9th hole was an epic experience.  Only a lob wedge away, but our foursome of single-digit handicappers were a combined 9 over.  Some spots are just not to be found on that hole.  

The long par 4 10th was a BEAST!  We all hit great drives, but from the tips into a nasty wind it was at least a par 5.  I bombed a hybrid and barely eeked my way onto the green.  A fantastic hole that presented a great challenge.  

The only downside is that the course is in the middle of nowhere.  While there are cabins on site, they were full when we booked.  It's fine, but just a little obstacle to be aware of.  The U.S. Open this year would have gotten better reviews if the leaderboard was packed with household names.  I believe the runaway by Koepka made some look at the course with the same "eh" that the closing holes of the Open provided.  It's too bad.  I loved it even though it is new and has no golf pedigree. 




No comments: